Sunday, November 02, 2008

Election Musings...



Well, it is the eve of one of the most historical elections in my lifetime (if not ever), even the music on the evening news is more dramatic. Personally, I must say I am both excited, and a little terrified.

I sincerely hope that all of my American friends use their votes wisely, go out and make their voices heard tomorrow.

That being said as a "Canadian" or at least permanent resident of this country I feel a mix of emotions.

For one, I feel that the world needs America to elect Obama. In some ways I feel like everyone is willing to forgive the US for electing George Bush, even the second time, but they need some sort of indication that the US is no longer aligning themselves with the Bush Doctrine, something that a McCain victory would in no way indicate. We need America to redeem itself.

I do have to confess that despite desperately wanting an Obama victory, in some ways, I fear it. It has been reported in newspapers this side of the 49th parallel that if Obama were to win, Canadians would be significantly more likely to align themselves with US policy, especially that pertaining to border regulation (soon to be seen at your border stations, mandatory identification cards that provide all your info to the US). Which, given the post 9-11 privacy policies of that country, is frightening.

I am not, however, one of the Canadians that is scared of Obama's contentions with NAFTA regulations. I realize that it could mean a huge problem during an economic era in which even bumps can be deadly. But I am a British Columbian who has seen huge losses in the softwood lumber dispute, which has seen the US violating free trade agreements with little consequence. I am a concerned Canadian who understands the strength of our resources in a time when Global Warming is threatening the contamination of drinking water. A time when the scarcity of oil is putting a higher priority on discovering new ways to generate energy, and Canada has a wealth of hydro, wind and thermal energy capacity. Those types of resources are not things I would want to be traded freely under regulations that too often play to the sound of the US tune. That and hearing the plight of women in Juarez, Mexico which is largely a result of free trade regulations under the NAFTA agreement. So any move to change NAFTA regulations, if not dissolving the concept of free trade (which, really, does not exist) is fine by me.

Now that being said, I am not so sure that Obama will deliver on his promises. Yes, he has campaigned on Change yet that doesn't mean that anything will. Not only would he take over a huge mountain of problems left behind by the Bush presidency, but his "Campaign for Change" has largely been paid for by the very elite he claims to intend to tax and regulate should he be elected. Will he do so? I'm not entirely sure.

That and the problem with politics in North America is not lack of visionary leaders, but rather lack of citizen involvement. After spending a summer in Switzerland, and seeing the effect of a democracy in which the population actively participates (the Swiss show up to vote in numerous referendums held through out the year to vote on legislation at numbers higher than the most recent turnout at Canada's federal election) I am of the opinion that we need not only electoral reform but reform of our entire parliamentary structure. We need to participate, we need to be involved and we need to have power redistributed and handed down to the lower levels (we referring to the general population). We need to learn the power of our voice.

Regardless of whether Obama delivers on his promises or god forbid, McCain wins the White House, at least this election has given the US population a bit of their voice back. I like to think that even if a Republican victory becomes the reality, Americans will not take the decisions of its leaders lying down as it has for the last eight years. Perhaps that is the optimist in me, but I like to have a little faith in my neighbors to the south (the ranks of which I hope to join one day).

I like to have faith that tomorrow they will chose the chance (even if it is small) on "Change". I like to have faith that America is ready for a black president (what an incredible victory that would be).

Tomorrow I will be watching and waiting, hoping that my friends are exercising their rights and taking part of history.

Never thought I would say this but tomorrow I really hope that God (Authority, Creator, Allah, whoever will you) does, bless America.

4 comments:

andrew domo said...

Very thorough Barbora. I fear the same with the possible change in our borders and the impending assimilation of Canada to US policies. The id card proposition never sat well with me. In any case, I think America so desperately longs not just for change, but for a voice...someone to lead them and unite them. I was initially rooting for Ron Paul, but how can one not go weak at the knees with Obama's strong words of unity and freedom? Can't wait to see the result.

Nice Pullman reference btw.

Nigel Maruva Chikukwa said...

I also happen to fear for Obama because the onus is on him to piece together the country that had been fragmented under Bush. See thing is, once he fails to deliver he might easily end up as a scapegoat and all those racial biases that had subsided will emerge again; "o, a black man could never have run such a powerful country successfully," some people could say.

I also think he might easily become a slave of those elites or even Corporate America itself. Because at the end of the day, the final say goes to the one with the money and power.

That being said, I do commend his call to McCain for help though because that way the Iraq issue might be strategically fixed.

Unknown said...

Obama making a difference, I wish. Brought to you straight from www.change.gov (the Office of the President Elect). "Barack Obama and Joe Biden will responsibly end the war in Iraq so that we can renew our military strength......" Renew Military strength you got be fucking kidding me. "Military experts believe we can safely redeploy combat brigades from Iraq at a pace of 1 to 2 brigades a month..." redeploy them where?? Aren't we running out of terrorists yet, but wait, we can create them by funding them first killing them later. Ex. Hitler, Hussein, Bin Laden. "Barack Obama and Joe Biden will invest in a 21st century military to maintain our conventional advantage ....." Ohh Shit. "Obama and Biden support plans to increase the size of the Army by 65,000 soldiers and the Marine Corps by 27,000 Marines. "

Unknown said...

Well dear citizens of planet earth, the forecast indicates a Sunny Global Warming, an Overcast Global Recession, and more profitable wars to come, and yes in God they trust. Hopefully these fuckers (and that is a description fully earned) will find out how much faith God places in them soon. Bring it on 2012.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin