Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Happy Happy 2009...

The minute the clock struck 12 on NYE my close friend Laurie broke into a smile and proclaimed that a huge weight was lifted off her shoulders. Yet I felt mine tighten just a little (which I attempted to remedy with a bottle of sparkling wine, note to self: wine is for the sharing, not guzzling).

Don't get me wrong I love New Years, and the symbolic turning of a calendar page that makes us feel as if we can all start anew. I get wildly superstitious and believe that "The way you ring in the New Year is the way you will spend it." So I go out of my way to ensure I do something I want.

But as 2008 left I couldn't help but feel a little nervous. I had some of the best moments of my life in the last year, so I was sad to see it go, but I was also struck by the realization of what 2009 would entail.

You see while I travelled around the world, while I danced and bent my body in yoga class I also bought time. For many years I had taken time out to just build 'self understanding' while dreaming big dreams and doing nothing about it. Yet now, I realize I have to act.

2008 was a year of learning, a year of therapy, seeing my homeland, gaining insight through the crash and burn of some relationships and the thriving of others and now I feel like I "get" it more. Like I understand what I have to "do" in order to truly create the life that I want for myself.

But, can I tell you a secret?

I AM SCARED SHITLESS.

Truly. Every time I pick up a pen to write, a phone to call a friend, go to interview a person, step out my front door, I feel a level of sheer terror. Its as if every-time I go to act and take the reigns to steer my own life, I hit the equivalent of a marathon runner's "wall" and feel like turning around, running straight home to Vancouver, climbing under my bed, hanging out with my favorite high heels and never, ever coming out.

But I am determined to do it. I am determined to take the steps to truly become the woman I want to be, and step on to the path that will lead to my dreams. I do not apologize for having dreamed big, but now I must act big to make those dreams a reality.

So, here I go, one unsure foot in-front of another.

I have decided to include more of my journey within these "pages", and I hope you will join me for the ride.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin