Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Looking for...

I've been told I shouldn't think of you,
that nonchalance,
not looking,
not seeking,
searching for your grin,
desiring your hand in mine,
is the missing ingredient
to establishing our chemistry.

But missing you comes so naturally.

They tell me, "Don't look and you shall find,"
But I can't help but scan the streets
in hopes that we can meet
and I can bring you home.

See, we haven't met yet
but I can bet that,

On Sundays,
you like to sleep in.
And I'll wake up early
jog with the dog,
return to pry you
from last night's sweaty sheets
with sweet kisses and salty bacon
we'll laugh into pancakes
and your smile,
sweet like maple syrup,
will make my stomach flip
just like our first date.

We'll spend lazy afternoons
a tangle of legs and feet
brewing daydreams over magazines
about the places we'll go and grow together.
We'll talk till our mouths meet,
or enjoy the still silence
that made us feel home,
that first weekend we spent just us, alone.

And sometimes we'll argue,
I'll be moody
you, bossy.
Sometimes I'll blame you,
and you'll grow frustrated with me,
but we'll take off our gloves,
get our hands dirty,
and do the work.
Then I'll say the right thing, you'll soften,
You'll say the funny thing, I'll laugh,
and we'll love away the fears,
while kissing away the tears.

And I'll stress about which flowers to bring to your mom
and shaking your dad's hand with sweaty palms,
only to win him with political conversation,
her with washed dishes and polite consideration.

And when we hit the town,
we'll arrive with your hand on my lower back,
you'll make your friends laugh,
and I'll glitter,
girls will flirt with you
but I'll know better than to be bitter
while you work your side of the room
and I'll work mine.
We'll meet on the dance floor,
the only place we sweat more
than when we're tangled in our sheets,
the memory of which will make us
hit the streets
head home
to be alone.

And when I come to,
from thinking of you,
I can't help but look for you,
miss you,
and pray that you
are looking for me too.
So we can go home,
to build and to break,
and grow the love that will make
each half of us, whole.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin