Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Its time you all knew that....

I have a therapist.

Yes a therapist, a certified psychologist, a counselor, a "shrink". And I am not embarrassed or shy to admit it. Yet by admitting it I have been startled by people's reactions...

"Wow, thank you for sharing something so private with me"

"That is so brave of you to admit that you are in therapy"

"Really!?! Wow! I had no idea"

Am I missing something? Why is being in therapy such a big deal?

We have all dealt with shit in our lives. Some of us more than others, but whether it was your parents, the bullies on the playground or the super models in the magazines at some point we get fucked up by life. The only difference is that some wear their wounds better than others, some people's pain you can see others you can't.

I became an expert at hiding mine, only when I hid my pain I hid my brilliance as well. There were a lot of trip ups that lead me there, but ended up seeing an image of myself so skewed I would have fallen into a life far less rewarding.

So yes, I am in therapy and I am damn proud of it, because it is not easy! There were whole weeks where I felt I was wearing my emotional turmoil on the surface of my skin and every bump stung like a fresh wound. And after months of dealing, sifting through old ideas, of struggling to go against my conditioning, I am not ashamed; not of crying on the bus, not of freaking out unnecessarily and not of admitting I am in THERAPY.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin