Saturday, May 17, 2008

Lost... and found....the shopping version

I got lost today.

In missing Vancouver coffee culture, I went out searching for a good coffee today in Zurich. I got lost, (not surprising since i wandered by word of mouth around Zurich without proper directions) and found myself in the lingerie section of Globus (Zurich's Holt Renfrew equivalent). I literally hyperventilated over Dolce and Gabana and Dior undergarments... and the other brands too...holy shit do European's ever know how to do underwear right!! Lace, mesh, tie up undies and bras, bras that hold the breast but do not cover the nipples, underwear in every conceivable cut colour and texture of fabric.

It was a transcendent experience for me. I nearly wept over the red lace bra with black white polka dot bows... (yes that exists!!)

Anyways....

I made it out of Globus, only buying a fabulous silk leopard print scarf, which was a necessary acquisition. You see all of Zurich wears scarves, its like theres a scarf club and every woman is am member ( even some men join). In fact if someone is not showing their membership by donning a scarf, its probably because this is the one day in the week they take a break.

I sought so desperately to belong, a stranger in a strange land, the least i could do was to conform by buying a scarf so that I truly fit in with the locals. Now I can make eye contact with the girls on the streets and feel as if I am one of them...a member of the Zurich scarf club.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You defiantly have European genes. Reading this I want to be part of the scarf club I have a scarf at home so I think I qualify.

Barbora said...

You have no idea... we're starting our own Simek fashion club when I get back!!

Anonymous said...

Hopefully our basement will be usable at the time of your arrival. Then the real party will start!!!!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin