Friday, May 16, 2008

Zurich Style...

The sloppy slapping of my flip flops has become offensive in a culture where the click of high heel on cobblestone is the norm. I admit it, I am envious of the swiss girls. If you've ever flipped through the pages of a magazine and thought "Really, who looks like that when they leave the house?" Well, the swiss do.

I have never seen so many perfectly manicured haircuts, expertly accessorized outfits, and immaculate shoes. On Sundays at lake Zurich, if it wasn't for the fact that stores were closed, I would swear all of Zurich collectively went to the salon and stylist for their promenade on the lakeside.

I'm perpetually plotting what I would be wearing if I wasn't living out of a backpack (black short-sleeve with the tie collar, black and white polka-dot skirt, MiuMius). If only the sold Mary Poppin's bags, I could REALLY use one right about now.

The thing is, my inspiration to dress better, girlier is not out of insecurity, or feeling inadequate next to the perfectly put together swiss. Its that the women of Europe inspire me to find the same thing within me, that they express so freely : femininity.

The women here are women: hair styled, lipstick donning, perfumed, highheeled women. The glory of it, is something that must be experienced to be understood. Everything here reflects a woman's right to look good, athletic stores are few and far between while shoe boutiques litter Swiss streets, there are hairdryers are everywhere (Bikram Yoga provides 4!! Two communal hairdryers, in front of a communal primping mirror and one in each of the mens and ladies showerooms), and mirrors are readily available for a mid stroll primp down the Bahnoff Strauss.

What is most refreshing is that the elderly look just as fabulous as the young. Just this week, I was joined by a woman in her late sixties for a piece of afternoon cake at Sprungli (Zurich's top confectionary, and the makers of Lindt Chocolate). The street patio was busy, and so she shared my table, wearing kakhi pants a white shirt and a funky iridescent jacket, she had a wonderfully dyed hairstyle, and after finishing her ice cream was sure to re-apply her lipstick before grabbing her oversized shades to go. Having grown up in Vancouver, I am thankful to the Swiss for showing me that aging does not confine you to fleece and Mark's Work Warehouse fashion.

Having learned so much from these folk, I wonder what the Italian and French women will have to add....

I cannot wait to learn.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin