Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Dearest Gentlemen....

Please, pay attention.

I do not understand why when I mention that I am a yoga teacher or dancer, a large majority of men are inclined to respond with something along the lines of,

"So, you must be pretty flexible, eh?"

What exactly are you expecting the response to be?

"Oh yes! I should show you how wide I can spread my legs! Why don't you come over later and I will demonstrate in my bedroom!"

Now really...

If I met an investment banker, lawyer or doctor and upon hearing his occupation would respond with , "So you must have a pretty big savings account, eh?" I would be labeled a materialistic gold-digger. So why is it that a man seems to think that he can get away with a comment like that without seeming like an objectifying ass?

Here is a news flash for you...

A woman who choses to pursue any occupation that increases flexibility or fitness isn't doing so so that she can be better in bed (although I am sure many enjoy the benefits in this area). So when you meet a dancer, yoga or pilates instructor, gymnast, etc, please do not consider her choice of occupation or hobby to be an invitation to your sexual inquires.

If you really want to know, learn some subtlety and class and you might be lucky enough to have your questions answered first hand...

Thats all.

1 comment:

Nyomi G said...

I AGREE! ohhh the frustrating double standard for men and women- well put Barb!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin