Tuesday, September 09, 2008

A woman's right to chose...shoes that is


In reading my school's feminist magazine (which I do plan to write for) I got to thinking.

Somewhere among the glossy pages filled with interesting chick fueled articles a pattern started to emerge. A pattern denouncing the consumerism of our era, and a corporate driven desire to 'look good' and be fashionable.

But really, since when did feminism become synonymous with a rejection of femininity? Simply because skirts and flowing fabrics are paraded down runways and sold in designer stores, because Karl Lagerfeld choses a model to his taste instead of a woman's (or even the taste of an average man, for that matter) we should reject the entire fashion industry?

Ridiculous, I say.

For me there is nothing more empowering than walking the streets in an banging outfit that just screams sexy, nothing like feeling fabulous about a well moisturized face, with the right shade of lipstick and a new oh-so-volumous mascara. The sidewalks then become my runways, regardless of whether Karl would approve or not.

I don't think that in order to feel empowered about my rights as woman I need to reject the very thing that makes me feminine. And yes, I believe that make up, fashion, flowing fabrics and stilettos are all a part of my femininity. Which isn't to say that there aren't other women out there who feel just as feminine and empowered in a pair of overalls or baggy jeans, all I'm saying is, that is just not the path for me (and trust me I tired it... a whole year of Tommy Hilfiger overalls did nothing but create a pile of unflattering photos).

To me feminism is empowerment, its about a woman's right to create herself without feeling pressured to behave a certain way or become a certain version of herself. And so, while women should have the right to walk away from the design industry and reject mascara, I should maintain my right to daydream about tomorrow's outfit and my next perfect pair of heels.

The truth is the women's movement is about the right to chose, and whether its and abortion or a pair of designer heels, we should be able to do so without discrimination from men, and especially without discrimination from each other.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin